With Obamacare’s emphasis on wellness incentives, we can look forward to universal healthcare and a slimmer, toned, healthier body. Who wouldn’t want to qualify for reduced insurance premiums just by losing a few pounds, lifting some weights and going to the gym once in a while?
Weight loss is serious business when it comes to controlling diabetes, lowering cholesterol, and easing the stress on knees and hips. We know that carrying extra weight in the way of excess body fat isn’t healthy. But lately, another kind of hidden fat around the belly has gotten a lot of attention. This stubborn belly fat is the subject of a Forbes article, “6 Ways To Burn Your Belly Fat Fast.” It’s not just unsightly; it is the most dangerous kind of fat, since larger waistlines are a measure of all type of disease.
Weight gain causes stress. Stress increases the production of cortisol, which is bad for weight gain. Yo-Yo and fad dieting makes it even worse. There are hundreds of diet books on the shelves of any bookstore. Hundreds more available online attest to the fact that the secret to losing weight and keeping it off is still a mystery. Diet programs like Weight Watchers and liquid fast diets with HGH injections offer the promise of fast weight loss by counting food points or taking a few injections and keeping calories to about 600 per day. Still, Americans are getting fatter.
Don’t despair. Even if you’re tied to a desk all day, these six tips can help you shed that toxic belly fat and regain a slim, svelte, healthier body.
- Get some sleep. If you’re overtired, your hormones revolt and you can actually store more fat. Besides the rest you’ll get, there is one obvious benefit to getting more sleep. You can’t eat while you’re asleep! You reduce your stress levels and curb your urge to eat by getting your sleep.
- Short bursts of exercise of the regular-activity variety may be better than doing 100 crunches or sweating it out at the gym. Exercise that targets a combination of major muscle groups is better than isolating your workout to just abs or glutes.
- We have met the enemy, and its sugar. According to the article, 80 percent of losing belly fat is diet. All those empty sugar calories pack on the pounds without contributing fiber or nutrients. Sugar can be addictive, making you want more cookies or bread or sugary sodas. Trade your calorie-rich latte for water or green tea. A sprinkle of cinnamon can stabilize blood sugar and quiet those cravings.
- Vitamin C is your fat-burning friend, balancing out the cortisol spikes that come with stress.
- Eat fat! Not the greasy stuff from fried food, but healthy fats, like avocado, olive oil and walnuts. Fat burns fat!
- Want to fuel a fire? Increase the oxygen. It works with burning belly fat, too. Controlled breathing reduces stress, reducing cortisol and its fat effects.
There is no magic bullet or diet secret that will flatten your stomach overnight. But following some simple steps can help rid your body of the dangerous belly fat that can contribute to unhealthy conditions, reduce your stress, and make you smile at that trim person in the mirror.
Photo source: Flickr: MikeBaird
Become a member to take advantage of more features, like commenting and voting.
Register or sign in today!