When you're in the job market, getting noticed can always be a challenge. In fact, recent statistics put the unemployment rate at about ten percent. That means about ten percent of the people in your community are competing for the same limited number of jobs. And that doesn't even take into consideration the amount of people who are looking for new jobs but are currently employed or are wanting to make a job change. So it's easy to see how gaining a competitive edge can help you stand out and land the job. Here are some tips to help you get noticed:
- Write a cover letter for every application - your cover letter should mention your skills, experience, and training in the first paragraph. The second paragraph should contain the reasons why you should be considered for the job. Your closing paragraph, should give them any additional information and invite them to contact you.
- Do some research - learn everything you can about the company before you go to your interview. Read any press on the company, look at their website and do a Google search. Be sure to write down questions for the interviewer so that they will know that you are legitimately interested in their company.
- Know your skills and talents - know what you're good at. It's difficult to market yourself when you're unsure of what you have to offer. If you need some help, try asking friends and colleagues whose opinions you respect. You can also look at past performance reviews.
- Memorize your pitch - spend some time creating a thirty second elevator pitch. This pitch is your marketing tool and should let potential employers know who you are and why you would be a good fit for the job.
- Build a critical skill - spend some time building a skill that is in demand in your field. This may mean taking a course or reading some books to learn the skill.
- Build your social network - create profiles on social networking sites and participate with others in your field. Never underestimate the importance of a strong professional network.
- Invest in yourself - even though finding a job can be stressful, it is important to take time out to take care of yourself. When you are relaxed and confident, you'll be able to make a great impression.
While it's true that the job market today can be brutal, using some of these tips can help you get noticed and make finding the job of your dreams a little bit easier.
Are you looking for a job in communications? Be sure to check out Communcationsjobs.
By Melissa Kennedy- Melissa is a 9 year blog veteran and a freelance writer, along with helping others find the job of their dreams, she enjoys computer geekery, raising a teenager, supporting her local library, writing about herself in the third person and working on her next novel.
Become a member to take advantage of more features, like commenting and voting.
Register or sign in today!